Good morning world! I feel GREAT today for one very simple reason:
While I will save my full race recap for later, here’s the cliff notes version:
- Race Conditions – Just about perfect. Nice cool temperatures set the stage for a great race
- Race Gear – This was probably the most comfortable race outfit I have put together to date (and, if I do say so myself, also the cutest). No chafing, no riding up. Everything stayed in place and kept me cool.
- Physical Condition – All of my preparation over the last 10 months since my last half has really paid off! I picked a goal pace that I knew was manageable and felt totally relaxed and in control. I really truly had fun and the miles flew by. I was in my finish line approach before I knew it!
- Improved Race Organization – I did this race last year and it was definitely not my favorite. I’ll admit, a big part of that was my own lack of preparation, but Disney made some definite improvements to the organization of the race this year that made it a really pleasant experience. Some minor changes to the course were also a great addition this year! From a spectator perspective, I hear the difference was night and day. My mom and husband (my cheering squad) were pleasantly surprised.
- A Very Unexpected PR – My expectations for this race were not lofty. Based on my training runs I thought there was a good chance I would PR but I don’t think I expected to run this fast! My last race and most recent PR was the 2012 Princess Half Marathon at the end of February (2:08:53). Well I definitely blew that out of the water with my 2:00:27 finish last night! A very pleasant surprise to say the least.
I have a little soreness in my right knee (I think IT band related) but overall I feel pretty good today. No weirdness in my achilles tendons like I often have after a hard effort. I am planning to take today as a nice, relaxing reward for all of my hard work! Expect a full race recap either tonight or tomorrow – that will probably depend if I decide I owe myself a nice nap today.
Did any other runner PR at the Wine & Dine Half last night? Have you ever completely surprised yourself with a PR?
What’s your favorite post-race reward? What does your typical day-after-race-day look like?